Drago Tršar was born in Planina near Rakek. He studied sculpture under Professors Zdenko and Boris Kalin, Karel Putrih and Peter Loboda at the Academy of Fine Arts in Ljubljana. He graduated in 1951.
In 1968, he won the Prešeren Fund Award for his sculptures exhibited at Mala galerija in Ljubljana in 1967. In 1990, he won the Prešeren Award for his lifetime achievement.